Ecstatic Dance - Oakland
Ecstatic dance in Oakland in mind blowing. They have these dance events every Wednesday night (8pm - 11pm) and Sunday afternoon (10:30am - 1:00pm), typically starting with some improv lessons if you come early then ending in sound healing.
- What: Amazing ecstatic dance event
- Cost: $15 at the door
- When: Every Wednesday 8-11pm (7-8 is yoga and improv class most energetic) .... also Every Sunday 9:30am–1:15pm
- Where: Ecstatic Dance Oakland, 1933 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612 (map)
- What to wear: Suitable dance attire, you'll be bear foot... see more here.
- Website: ecstaticdance.org wednesday, sunday
What is Ecstatic Dance
I think the best thing you can do, for a full explanation, is to read my Ecstatic_Dance article. It explains things in depth. In a nutshell: wonderful energetic tribal music where you are free to dance however you want (no instructions) and no shoes. When approaching people to dance, or during a dance, remember that putting your hands together in a pray like position is saying "thanks, but I want to dance by myself now".
The Oakland Venue
Although the Mountain View and Oakland events are differently named, they are very similar dance genres in that you are free to dance however you want (and no shoes) - just be respectful to others. The main difference: Oakland Wednesday nights is a young crowd - the median age is probably around 30, and some of the guys shirtless. It's also much bigger, and the music is intense for hours! The very beginning it starts soft, and the very end is a magnificent come down "sound therapy" part where people usually lie down and someone plays saxophone or guitar or something else really mellow. I think the Mountain View one is friendlier, in that it's easier to connect with people, but some prefer the younger crowd of Oakland. Having everyone around your age means people are a little more picky about dancing with you in case your intentions are more than just dancing. For that reason it's fun to go to the Oakland one with some friends - people who you know you can dance with. But if you just want to dance alone, that's okay too!
- Ecstatic dance, Wednesday Nights, Oakland (official website)... good info.
- Ecstatic dance - Facebook page