IMB - computing
On this page I'll keep any specific about our IMB network I have to remember.
DISCLAIMER: This page was created in 2004, so please don't trust the content anymore.
Hierarchical Storage Management ("infinite" backup)
To connect to HSM from OSX:
- Connect to server > smb://email@example.com/
To connect to HSM from Windows:
- Use Core FTP LE >> create site:
- name: "hsm_Noske" || host: "hsm"
- username: "a.noske" || password: ****
- port: 21 ... use PASV only (makes faster)
- Use Windows Explorer and TYPE in the address: ftp://firstname.lastname@example.org/
HSM is slow because most files are on tape, which are then copied to a server, THEN transferred to your computer - often the connection will terminate/crash when trying to copy a big file, but *usually* works on the second attempt.
Has a fixed amount of backup for each person (\\Apollo\a.noske), group (\\Apollo\group-marsh) and a general transfers area (\\Apollo\transfers).
By typing this into Windows Explorer on and IMB machine it will connect you & you can easily create a shortcut to a folder.
To mount as a network drive:
- Click "Start" then right-click "My Network Places" > "Map Network Drive"
- Select drive letter and type address (eg: \\Apollo\a.noske) * might have to fiddle with case.
NOTE: Anyone can access/create/delete file on the "transfers", but files are (typically) automatically deleted 2 weeks after they are uploaded/modified.